Accountability on doing the 6 steps

Home page Forums Approach Forum Accountability on doing the 6 steps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    baresa
    Participant

Background:
    I decided to log my progress here to put some accountability into the process instead of chicken out. I could pay a coach but I feel a forum has almost the same effect.

Of all the challenges I have had in my life so far (education, job, career, sports etc) this is probably the biggest challenge of ALL. It would be easier to climb Mt Everest than doing this.

I bought the “She’s six steps away” 10 years ago, read it, but never went through the program. Now 10 years later and a 20000 USD daygame boot camp in between I feel that this program resonates the most in my mind. I have read maybe 200 e-books on dating, gaming, approach anxiety etc etc.

I realized I’m not comfortable around stranger girls (I feel relaxed and confident with girls/women I know), I always tried to avoid them in the bus or at the cross walk because of sexual shame. For my entire life I have never turned around to look at a sexy girl that just passed me on the street: It was shameful to do so. Now, all this sounds very bad, but I’m actually a very good conversationalist: If, for some strange reason, I end up talking to a girl (non sexual) I usually make her laugh and i can ramble on and make her feel good.

Stats:
    M45, virgin, introvert, never married, no girlfriends, impressive professional CV, healthy lifestyle, sporty, laid back casual simple lifestyle. I don’t like a bragging lifestyle. My approach anxiety (and anxiety against girls in general) and sexual shame was formed in pre-school due to a number of events that rooted in my subconscious mind. I have so far, not been able to reprogram these subconscious beliefs and they stop me from meeting girls. With what I have achieved in life I consider myself having self esteem and self confidence in all areas except girls. Any advice such as: Get some hobbies, get fit will have no effect because I’m doing it already. How bad is the approach anxiety? If somebody gives me 1000 dollars to approach a girl right now, I would not do it.

My own approach anxiety analysis:
    Daygaming, nightgaming, PUA lifestyle, approaching etc is something that is performed by less than 1% of the male population. All the boot camps, e books, youtube videos are targeted towards this 1%. The remaining 99% have no clue what’s going on – that’s maybe 4 billion men. After doing my 20000 USD boot camp I realized that these systems are made for men who already HAVE experience with girls: Men who have been kissing a girl when they were 15, who have been attending parties in high school, who have been been in study groups with girls, who have had female co workers, who have been on dates, who have had sex. They just want to become better at it. They want more consistent success and maybe get some 9s and 10s.

The problem arises when 1 man from the 99% group strays into the 1% group “by mistake” and realizes what’s possible and what he has been missing out on. I’m that person. Like a commercial he is seduced to believe that he can get any girl, get rid of fear of rejection by just “fake it till you make it” or “just do it”. But it’s not working. Like Eric said: These programs assume you actually have no (crippling) approach anxiety and that you are somewhat skilled in terms of girls. And most coaches fail to understand HOW bad the situation for a man actually is – they simply cannot imagine it and start applying the standard toolbox. When I did my 20000 USD boot camp I was able to approach girls, have emotional connections, get phone numbers (even ones that were not fake). It was fantastic and only possible because I had 100% faith in the coaches. But the day after the boot camp ended everything I learned was gone because I was 100% on my own: Again, my approach anxiety was there – full blown. I had lived in a fairy tale for a number of days where the coaches were able to put a layer on top of my subconscious mind and hide my anxiety. I had basically wasted 20000 USD. My subconscious programming is stronger.

Common standard dating advice:
    Often, the standard advice to men is to socialize by joining a club frequented by women. Or get some hobbies where there is a lot of women: Dancing, yoga, volunteering etc. A large number of men in society ARE surrounded by women all day long, they have had many girlfriends through their social circle, they have been hanging out with girls since high school, they know how to talk to girls and make them feel comfortable and make them laugh and have a good time. They have basically a rich social life with a number of girls to pick from. They have the life we all dream about. But I’ll bet: Take that social man and put him on the street in a city he does not know and ask him to cold approach a sexy girl and it’s very likely he will not be able to do it. He is only used to talking to girls based on introductions in familiar environments or similar – he has never cold approached a girl in his life before and this action is not acceptable by society in general. I really feel when doing step 2 that you have to be in some kind of predator mode. You see a girl, lock in and go for her no matter what society thinks of this action. And therefore I sense if I have had a rich social life with many girls, I would not be able to meet new girls in the street and expand my social circle that way: I would be living in my own social circle set by society and friends/family unable to expand and enrich (abundance). This is why daygaming is crucial and yet so hard: It would be easier to join a yoga class. And this is why, if I were a 99% man I would have had my share of sex, my share of relationships but no abundance.

The steps:
    My MAJOR road block is the actual walk up in step 3 and saying something since this action is addressing my sexual shame and my lust for her: Something that has been imprinted by society and feminism to be WRONG (since childhood). When I look at all 6 steps, I don’t fear step 1,2,4,5 and 6. I am confident in these steps, since once a conversation rolls, I’m cool. But step 3 is a HUGE obstacle for me. For me, doing step 1,2 and 3 is like climbing the highest mountain in the World, but once I reach the top, its smooth sailing downhill (step 4,5 and 6). I understand the 3 second rule but it makes no sense to me, my internal (subconscious) resistance is MUCH stronger than my conscious beliefs. Sometimes I wonder if its a phobia.

Step 1:
    I have been doing step 1 and I feel I succeeded with this step. I made it a goal to walk in the middle of the shopping street like a boss, look ALL girls in the eyes and feel comfortable about it. But it’s not natural to me. I have to consciously think: move your ass to the middle of the street so you can be seen by everyone and look left and right for all girls just like a sniper. I don’t feel resistance walking like a boss and be seen – it’s just not occurring naturally – I have to actively move myself there. But that’s OK.

Step 2:
    Now it has become more difficult. I just completed the 7 days of step 2 as outlined in the book and I am not even close to doing step 3. The first couple of days I dry approached 5-10 girls each day. On the 7th day I dry approached 30 girls.

Anyhow, I learned something extremely valuable doing step 2:
    When I decide that I have to commute to town to practice step 2 I feel some resistance or inhibition, like: Oh, now I have to meet girls and be the creepy guy. As I approach a congested area, like the train station, where I know the girls are, the resistance goes up a bit more. When I spot a girl and walk up to her I feel the biggest resistance (=creepy guy approaching a sexy, innocent girl). But as soon as I have positioned myself next to her my resistance drops to almost zero and I feel relaxed. I have no need to walk away after 10 seconds. I could happily stay there for 1h with her.

One more interesting thing that I feel while doing step 2 instead of step 1: When I come home after doing my step 2 exercises, and I relax for a few hours, I get the urge to go out again the very same day and practice some more (I’m not exhausted mentally yet). But since I don’t live in the city center, it’s a commute every time so the logistics are blocking me a bit.

When doing this step 2 exercise I noted the resistance being like this (from easy to difficult):

a) Approach while fiddling with phone
    b) Approach while listening to music
    c) Approach without anything – just yourself

I also noted:

a) The hotter the girl, the more resistance I feel to approach. It’s easier to walk up to a 5 compared to a 10.
    b) I start to feel that this step is like a game: Like a missile I seek out targets and go for them. It’s a bit strange going into supermarkets and actively looking for the cutest girls and then almost run up to look at some food next to her. And you pray that she stays a bit and is not walking away to some other food so it will end up in a stalking process :-D.

Conclusion on step 2 (7 days):
    After maybe 50 dry approaches I learned that I’m relatively cool about it. However, the hotter/sexier she looks or the younger she looks the more creepy I still feel and therefore I have more resistance. But the resistance is ONLY the walk up. Once I’m planted I’m relatively cool no matter how hot. I realize this step is about getting comfortable around (hot) girls, something I have never really been. I realize I need to be comfortable in my own skin, relaxed and enjoy the 30 second company of a beautiful girl (however not facing her) without saying anything at all. But I’m not there yet. So I will continue on step 2 beyond the 7 days.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by baresa.
    baresa
    Participant

Step 2: Day 9

I also went out on day 8 to approach a number of girls but did not manage to write a log. But here are some notes on day 9:

Today is my 9th continuous day dry approaching girls. Today I dry approached some 10 girls.

It’s funny because I sense some micro changes occurring within myself. I feel I am slowly breaking down the resistance of walking up to a girl as noted in my main post: Before, I felt resistance walking up to her but zero when planted next to her. Now the resistance of walking up to her is fading. If I analyze with the 3 second rule in mind: Once I see her I start moving right away, it would be better to call it a 0,1 second rule in this case. My ass is moving like a missile towards the target without hesitation. But once I reach her I see this big wall in front of me – I’m not (yet) ready to say anything.

As I described in my main post: “My MAJOR road block is the actual walk up in step 3 and saying something since this action is addressing my sexual shame and my lust for her”. So my initial resistance/inhibition was split into 2 parts: a) walking towards her and b) talking. I now realize that I’m about to break down a) so I only have part b) left. But that’s a big one.

SomeguyUK
    Participant

> Common standard dating advice:
    Often, the standard advice to men is to socialize by joining a club frequented by women. Or get some hobbies where there is a lot of women: Dancing, yoga, volunteering etc. A large number of men in society ARE surrounded by women all day long, they have had many girlfriends through their social circle, they have been hanging out with girls since high school, they know how to talk to girls and make them feel comfortable and make them laugh and have a good time. They have basically a rich social life with a number of girls to pick from. They have the life we all dream about. But I’ll bet: Take that social man and put him on the street in a city he does not know and ask him to cold approach a sexy girl and it’s very likely he will not be able to do it.

Yep. I have a couple of guy friends who naturally do really well with women (to the point where I have been kinda jealous of them sometimes). But those guys can’t do cold approaches.

I think the advice to do hobbies etc to meet women isn’t right for everyone. You can be in a yoga club with the hottest women every day. But if you don’t feel reasonably relaxed and confident talking to women, it won’t help much.

>After maybe 50 dry approaches I learned that I’m relatively cool about it. However, the hotter/sexier she looks or the younger she looks the more creepy I still feel and therefore I have more resistance.

Well done on doing your approaches so far. You’re putting the work in.

Question – have you had moments in your life before where you’ve randomly asked women for directions/information, without thinking about pickup stuff? If you’ve done it before and it wasn’t a big deal for you, maybe try to think of this in the same way. You’re not trying to ‘pick anyone up’ yet – just getting used to opening your mouth. Asking strangers for help is a normal thing to do.

If it’s too much for you to open a women, maybe take even smaller steps to get there. Ask a guy for directions (again, you’re just getting warmed up). Ask some old women that you’re not attracted to. Then move on to the more attractive girls.

> Anyhow, I learned something extremely valuable doing step 2:
    When I decide that I have to commute to town to practice step 2 I feel some resistance or inhibition, like: Oh, now I have to meet girls and be the creepy guy

Dude, don’t call yourself creepy, even as a joke. This is clearly a hurdle for you and you should try and be kind and compassionate to yourself 🙂

One thing I might suggest is to talk to your female friends about being approached. You’ll probably find that what really creeps them out is seriously weird or aggressive behaviour – the kind of stuff you’re not planning to do. They’re used to guys trying to hit on them, and when it doesn’t go well, they generally just go about their day. (And if you don’t have female friends, don’t worry. You’ll make some doing this!)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by SomeguyUK.
    baresa
    Participant

SomeguyUK:
    Thanks for your support, it helps a lot 😀

Question – have you had moments in your life before where you’ve randomly asked women for directions/information, without thinking about pickup stuff? If you’ve done it before and it wasn’t a big deal for you, maybe try to think of this in the same way. You’re not trying to ‘pick anyone up’ yet – just getting used to opening your mouth. Asking strangers for help is a normal thing to do.

If it’s too much for you to open a women, maybe take even smaller steps to get there. Ask a guy for directions (again, you’re just getting warmed up). Ask some old women that you’re not attracted to. Then move on to the more attractive girls.

1. It’s no problem to ask girls for something but my main problem is, it has to be genuine. I cannot lie to myself – I’m too honest. I almost cringe inside if I have to ask for directions or the time. So if I go to a grocery store and need some stuff that I cannot find I will actively seek out the hottest female employee and ask for the stuff. This works because I literally cannot find the food I’m looking for. If I know where the chocolate is and I search for a girl who can give me the directions to chocolate my brain shuts down – I cannot fake it. It would be the same if it’s an old, unattractive store clerk.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by baresa.
    baresa
    Participant

#74436 needs to be deleted. It was an error and I could not make adjustments in time.

SomeguyUK:
    Thanks for your support, it helps a lot 😀

1. It’s no problem to ask girls for something but my main problem is, it has to be genuine. I cannot lie to myself – I’m too honest. I almost cringe inside if I have to ask for directions or the time. So if I go to a grocery store and need some stuff that I cannot find, I will actively seek out the hottest female (before I would pick a man) employee and ask for the stuff. This works because I literally cannot find the food I’m looking for. If I know where the chocolate is and I search for a girl who can give me the directions to chocolate my brain shuts down – I cannot fake it. It would be the same if it’s an old, unattractive store clerk.

2. I’m not in a pickup state. I’m quite numbed actually. I see this exercise/journey as a way to only talk to girls and make them happy. I’m not in a state where I aggressively need number closes and sex. I’m in a state where my goal is to have an innocent conversation and ramble on with some shit and make her feel comfortable about being approached by a stranger. Of course, in my mind I would always focus on slipping in a compliment and try to establish an emotional connection.

One thing I might suggest is to talk to your female friends about being approached. You’ll probably find that what really creeps them out is seriously weird or aggressive behaviour – the kind of stuff you’re not planning to do. They’re used to guys trying to hit on them, and when it doesn’t go well, they generally just go about their day. (And if you don’t have female friends, don’t worry. You’ll make some doing this!

I don’t have female friends I can talk to about these issues. I know the creep things are ridiculous but years of imprinting from parents, family and movies have done their share. I clearly remember when doing the boot camp and the coaches asked us to approach 20 year old girls. I felt an enormous resistance due to my social conditioning (even recently in local media where it’s frowned upon when an older man has a younger gf) but I was so positively shocked when those girls were open and happy to my advances. I remember when discussing it with my fellow boot camp students: we were all blown away. I just get suicidal when thinking my only option is a cougar with 2 kids from a broken marriage: but society only accepts this solution for a guy like me. I fully admit I’m conditioned by media and society and it would be healthy to hang out in an environment populated with guys who don’t accept this.

baresa
    Participant

Step 2: Day 10

Went out and did some 10 dry approaches. For some reason I was not so motivated today. If I should say something it would be that my resistance to approaching very sexy girls is fading. I need to make some more observations in the coming days.

SomeguyUK
    Participant

I know what you mean about the being genuine thing. Sometimes I prefer being more direct – like giving compliments or just introducing myself to the girl. I feel a little awkward ‘faking it’ if I don’t really need recommendations or whatever.

But some things to remember:

1. Women do the same thing – if they are interested in a guy they will often ask him innocent (fake) questions

2. Girls actually appreciate game! They will often think it’s cool that you approach them in smooth, subtle ways. (There is a thread about this somewhere on this forum called ‘girls love game’).

3. It’s just a training mechanism anyway. You’re just saying words that are congruent with the social situation around you.

If you genuinely freeze up when asking the questions, I’m not sure what the answer is. Maybe giving genuine compliments will work better for you. Try that too. Don’t worry about their reaction – just focus on saying the line and then pat yourself on the back.

> I just get suicidal when thinking my only option is a cougar with 2 kids from a broken marriage: but society only accepts this solution for a guy like me.

Don’t tell yourself that story. There are millions of women out there. You also sound pretty successful which is a major advantage for older guys.

> I felt an enormous resistance due to my social conditioning (even recently in local media where it’s frowned upon when an older man has a younger gf) but I was so positively shocked when those girls were open and happy to my advances

I hear you. I sometimes feel a bit weird approaching younger girls too. But it’s just something to get over. Ultimately lots of women like older guys. A few years back, I knew a 70 year old guy who was seeing a 25 year old. If that can happen, anything can happen.

Also, just because you’re approaching younger girls, doesn’t mean you’re dating them. You can also do it just for fun, to flirt. Women love to flirt and they enjoy interacting with guys who can make them smile and laugh. It’s not like you’re asking these girls to marry you – you’re just having a conversation.

SomeguyUK
    Participant

And good work going out even when you’re not feeling motivated. This is just like going to the gym. Consistancy is what matters.

baresa
    Participant

Step 2: Day 11

Today was the 24th of Dec. I knew the town would be pretty empty but I went anyway. I told myself to go no matter what – rain, ice, cold etc. And indeed it was almost dead. I went back home with 0 approaches but padded myself for the willpower 🙂

PS: Thanks for the support SomeguyUK :-).

baresa
    Participant

Step 2: Day 12

Today I only managed to do 1 dry approach since it’s still Christmas. Therefore I can elaborate a bit more.

I went to a fast food restaurant. As soon as I came in, I realized it was very empty. There were maybe 20 booths. I quickly scanned and saw a beautiful girl by herself (playing with phone) in one booth. I felt a bit of resistance since I knew I had to do something. In the old days I would have picked a booth far away from her. This time I sat down in the booth next to her, however not facing her. Out of all the 20 booths I chose the one right next to her! After 1 min she went up to get her food, as she returned I locked eyes with her and got a smile from her. I did not fiddle with my phone, I did not listen to music – I was just myself. I’m proud.

baresa
    Participant

Step 2: Day 12

The town is still dead due to holidays but managed to get 7 dry approaches.

A few notes:
    Got really disappointed when I came into town and realized there were so few girls. I take this response as a positive sign. I also noted that I’m going for girls who are with their boyfriend. Example: Girl sitting on a bench with her boyfriend. I still manage to sit next to her. Her bf does not intimidate me at all. I’m really ice cold on this one.

When I’m commuting in and out of town I try to go to super markets in the “suburbs” just to get a few more approaches. I’m very determined.

I decided to introduce a Step 2.1: When I’m planted next to her or seated next to her. I will try to turn my head towards her looking at her phone or her face for only 1-2 seconds. As if I’m going to say something to her. There is resistance in doing it since it reveals my interest for her: That I might be caught looking thereby displaying my sexuality which is so frightening.

SomeguyUK
    Participant

Well done man. You’re doing the right thing. Keep pushing yourself to do harder and harder challenges.

That’s nice that you got a smile from the booth girl. A situation like that is a good moment to ask the girl what food she would recommend (with genuine curiosity).

Btw, you asked in a previous thread about affirmations. I can tell you that the only affirmation that has worked for me personally is ‘face the fear’. If you really need something to think of in those scary moments, give it a shot.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by SomeguyUK.
    baresa
    Participant

Step 2: Day 13

Today I managed to dry approach some 25 girls.

A few observations:

1. 9s and 10s seem to be walking in their own World. They almost never make eye contact: their eyes are pointed straight ahead at all times. They appear emotionless. They are sending off this vibe: Don’t bother me. They have zero curiosity towards the World.

2. When doing the boot camp the coaches kept telling me I was overthinking the situation why I had so much resistance. Likewise, the overthinking concept is discussed in almost all forums: The guy is overthinking everything that might go wrong during the approach why he does not approach at all. That might be things like: She is too pretty. She has a bf. She looks busy. She is looking for a rich man. She is looking for a tall man. She is too young. My clothes are not fashionable. I need a better haircut. I don’t know what to say to her. She will reject me and it will really hurt me emotionally. Fact is, I’m not overthinking at all. Everything runs on autopilot why I don’t have inner talks about the situation. I don’t know if this is good or bad. When I see an attractive girl I go for her RIGHT away without thinking about it (no 3s rule her – it’s a zero second rule I have) – everything runs on autopilot. As I’m coming closer and closer to her and the distance between the two of us is reduced, I have no negative thoughts at all – everything runs on autopilot.I feel everything runs on a subconscious level somehow. But when I stand next to her I feel empty and “dead”. I don’t feel fear and I don’t have physical reactions such as increased heart rate or sweaty hands. I also don’t feel excited standing there – it’s all very emotionless somehow. But if SHE opened me with a situational opener I would be excited right away. I feel my emotionless autopilot is my curse but if I break the code to open my mouth, the flood gates will open for the rest of my life.

3. I don’t know how analyze this experience that happened to me a few times: I pass a girl on the street and shortly after I decide to turn my head and check her out from the back – training myself to get rid of my sexual shame. 2 times I experienced that the girl turned around as well checking me out. As our eyes meet from a distance I feel an enormous emotional rush and quickly look straight ahead again and keep walking WHILE having the biggest grin/smile on my face and feeling GREAT. Its so fucked up. It’s shameful to show the grin to the girl and it’s so shameful that I hope other pedestrians or car drivers cannot see my smile. The rush is physical – almost like a roller coaster feeling.

baresa
    Participant

Step 2: Day 14

Today I approached 10 girls. Nothing spectacular. I also dry approach hot girls with their dads now – I just don’t care if he’s around. However I regret approaching one girl who was sitting on a stool in a 7-11 with 2 empty stools next to her. I saw her and decided to move in but somehow the crowd and logistics made it difficult (very tight space and I would have to physically move one stool to arrange myself next to her). So I “stared” at her from a distance and tried to make up my mind and truly realized that you have to move in fast at all times – otherwise I start feeling as a stalker. It’s waaay more natural to move in fast. When I came home I regretted it and if I had the chance I would do it differently.

A few observations:

1. I realize I have one big resistance and that is a group of girls (the more the worse). For some reason I think a group of girls can make fun of me and this perhaps dates back to some childhood experiences. Also I don’t like to be in the center of attention of many girls – it’s easier to just handle one girl at a time.

2. Considering that step 3 is ahead of me: When shopping in the past I always picked a male clerk to find some stuff I could not find. If I would pick a sexy female clerk I would reveal that I’m full of lust and desire for her – even though I just need some carrots. And this shame is still there somehow. I also noted when asking clerks for some stuff I would walk up while they were unpacking some boxes or whatever and wait for them to realize that I’m standing there and need help. I always failed at showing power by asking without hesitation that I need something – of course politely. This is of course also a limitation that stems from primary school: you are only allowed to talk and ask when you are given permission. But the few times I asked a sexy clerk for some stuff I never felt comfortable walking with her to the shelf where the stuff is – I never felt relaxed – could not make proper eye contact etc. I know clerks are paid to be friendly and give customer service unlike girls on the street but I think I need to get this one under my skin. I feel like an ass asking a girl for directions on the street but asking a clerk for some exotic food makes MUCH more sense to my mind: Instead of searching for the exotic food myself I just blindly find the cutest clerk and ask her instead – my mind shows less restriction with that solution since its more authentic and honest. What do you think? My conclusion is: If I cannot ask a sexy clerk (who is paid to be nice) for some exotic food and feel totally relaxed about it, I can never approach in the street like Eric discusses in step 3.

SomeguyUK
    Participant

Yes, I think you’re right. You need to be able to practice step 3 one way or another. If you can find a way that works for you, do it.

> If I would pick a sexy female clerk I would reveal that I’m full of lust and desire for her – even though I just need some carrots. And this shame is still there somehow.

This is clearly a limiting belief you have. It’s obviously not true that your actions would reveal your feelings. Sure, women can sometimes pick up on attraction – but they aren’t mind readers!

Your actions are what matters. As long as you’re not saying or doing anything inappropriate, you’re not doing anything wrong and it doesn’t matter what she thinks. So try to confront those fears when you’re ready.

For me, it helps to think of these exercises as ‘faking it until you make it’.

When we do these exercises we are discovering what it feels like to be a confident, outgoing person. Over time, what is initially ‘faking it’ becomes real. It works.

So perhaps try to create a ‘character’ for yourself. Someone who is bold, confident, and sexually at ease.

You might want to read ‘The alter ego effect’ by Todd Herman. He is a coach who helps people use alter egos. In the book he talks about how Beyonce famously created an alter ego for herself. She needed to be sexy on stage – but due to her gospel background, she wasn’t comfortable being sexy. Beyonce’s alter ego helped her overcome that fear and eventually she integrated Sasha Fierce into her personality.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by SomeguyUK.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.